The State Library’s comprehensive collection of Louisiana materials includes genealogical resources, including:
• Census records for the southeastern U. S., ship passenger lists for the Port of New Orleans, military service and parish records on microfilm;
• Current and historical city directories and telephone books for Louisiana cities and towns;
• Journals published by state genealogical and historical societies; and
• Louisiana and southeastern U.S. genealogy and family histories.
The materials in the Louisiana collection are located on the fifth floor of the Library.
Searching For Your Louisiana Ancestors on Microfilm
This guide for finding genealogical materials is located in the Louisiana collection.
To find genealogical materials for a Louisiana parish in the online catalog, do the following:
• Select Subject from the dropdown box on the Keyword Search screen.
• Type in a parish name in the field on the right and click GO (It is important to use the word “parish” following it – i.e. Lincoln Parish).
• Scroll down the list to select the subject headings that interest you.