Selection Criteria for the Louisiana Young Readers’ Choice Award
Eligibility of Books
- Books must be published three years prior to the award being given. For example, books that are considered for the 2019 list must have been published in 2016.
- If a nominated title is in a chronological series, the nominated book must be the first book in the sequence or a prequel. Titles that are part of a group of companion novels, that can be read independently and out of sequence from the accompanying books, may be considered.
- Considerations for inclusion on the list include literary quality, effectiveness of expression, creativity, imagination, reading enjoyment, reading level, interest level, genre representation, gender representation, racial diversity, diversity of social, political, economic or religious viewpoints and availability.
- The books must be in print in the United States to be eligible for the list. The author does not have to be an American citizen, but the book must be published in the United States.
- The book may be published originally in another country, but it must have a U.S. copyright date three years prior to the LYRC award list for which it is being considered.
- Nominations must be submitted by March 1st. For example, nominated titles (with a 2016 copyright) submitted for the 2019 LYRC list must be submitted by March 1st, 2017.
- Anyone may recommend a title for consideration that meets the above criteria.
Policy and Procedures Manual