St. John the Baptist Parish Library
Job Vacancy Announcement
Position: Assistant Director
Salary: Beginning Salary $64,030.28 (negotiable depending on experience)
Hours: Exempt Full-time Position (flexible work hours may include nights and weekends)
Nature of Work: The candidate must have experience and knowledge of library administration, library policies and procedures and substantial experience in the provision of library services to all patrons. Must possess strong management, leadership and public relations skills. Ability to communicate with the public and with the staff; ability to set goals and communicate these to staff and to guide staff through change and development, ability to write concise and clear reports and announcements. The candidate must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library trustees, staff and parish officials and represent the library to the public, communities and outside organizations.
Duties (include but not limited to):
- Acts as chief officer in the absence of the Director.
- To provide administrative and professional assistance to the Director.
- Ensures the library’s compliance with federal and state labor laws.
- Handle employee grievances and has authority to investigate all grievances.
- Assume all Human Resources responsibility.
- Assists in budget preparation and long range planning for the library.
- Supervises the operation and security of the library neighborhood branches.
- Assists with the formation and administration of library goals, policies and procedures.
- To assist in the development of improving methods of service.
- Assist in maintaining and updating staff and service policies, procedures, manuals and forms.
- Assists in maintaining consistency of service standards.
- Advises on and evaluates proposals having system-wide applications.
- Prepares special reports and grants.
- Maintains confidentiality of internal and external library business.
- Coordinates adult programming, exhibits and activities in the system.
- Selects and/coordinates the selection of adult materials for the collections.
- Coordinates staff training and development.
- Assist in development and preparation of continuing education and staff development in-service programs and events.
- To keep informed of developments and participate in activities of professional and community organizations.
- Performs other library related duties as required by the Director.
- Master’s Degree in Library and Informational Science or a Related Field.
- At least (7) years of human resources, administrative and supervisory experience in a public library setting.
- Proficient in computers, including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite software.
St. John the Baptist Parish Public Library offers benefits that include full medical, dental and life insurance, accrued annual leave, medical leave, paid holidays and a contributory membership in the Parochial Retirement System.
Applications will be accepted through Friday, March 31, 2017.
Send a letter of application and résumé with three professional references to: Virgie Johnson, President, Library Board of Control, St. John the Baptist Parish Library, 2920 Highway 51, La Place, Louisiana 70068
Applications are available at any of our 4 branches, or online at www.stjohn.lib.la.us.