Assistant ILS Administrator, Webster Parish Library, Minden, LA
The Library: The Webster Parish Library System was established in 1929 making it the fourth oldest system in Louisiana. The headquarters and main branch are located in Minden, with one other full-time branch in Springhill, and 5 part-time branches in Cotton Valley, Sarepta, Sibley, Doyline and Heflin. The system has combined holdings of 108,171 items, 49 full and part-time staff, and an annual budget which exceeds $4 million. Circulation for 2016 was more than 320,000. The automation system is Polaris. WPL is a member of the Green Gold Library System, a cooperative library system in the northwest region of the state.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities: Assists in the administration of the Library’s ILS (Polaris) and help troubleshoot all modules of Polaris. Assists in preparation, production, distribution of written reports, manuals, memos, statistics as required by the Director, Library Resources Administrator, or staff. Performs other duties as assigned.
The applicant: should have experience in the implementation and management of integrated library systems (preferably Polaris), automated networks, systems and applications, including servers and system printer installation and operation; must have the ability to perform detailed work accurately and with dispatch; must have the ability to communicate effectively, patiently and courteously with Library employees, patrons and other community members.
FULL TIME POSITION (Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm)
- 1-2 years experience with computer hardware, software, and peripheral devices.
- 1-2 years of experience with an integrated library system, preferably Polaris.
- Familiarity with cataloging resources, including RDA, MARC 21 manuals or WebDewey, LCSH, and Dewey Decimal manual/schedules, preferred
- Knowledge of and experience using SQL, preferred
- Physically capable of operating Library vehicles safely, possess a valid driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record
- As an absolute condition of employment, employees are required upon hire to sign a drug-free workplace agreement and an agreement not to use tobacco products of any kind while on the job.
- Bachelor’s degree, computer science or library science preferred
- Basic reading, grammar, math and computer skills
- Data entry accuracy
- Ability to follow instructions
Salary range: $14.00-$16.00 per hour
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Vacation, Holidays, Sick Leave, Retirement/Pension
Application Deadline: Review of resumes/applications will begin immediately and resumes/applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or non-job related disability. Our facilities are non-smoking.