Job Posting Title: Associate Dean for Special Collections
Position Type: Faculty
Department: LSUAM LSU Libraries (Stanley J Wilder (00008568))
Work Location: 0005 Troy H. Middleton Library
Associate Dean for Special Collections
The LSU Libraries seeks an experienced, innovative, and energetic leader for its Special Collections division.
Special Collections at LSU are designing innovative responses to evolving modes of teaching and scholarship, shifting content format, technologies, institutional priorities, internal workflows, and external support. The successful candidate will bring strong experience and a compelling vision to the task of furthering our progress toward meeting these challenges, and making LSU’s Special Collections a world leader among research libraries.
Special Collections is already known for excellence. Housed in its own historic facility, Hill Memorial Library, it includes the Louisiana and Lower Mississippi Valley Collections (LLMVC), University Archives, Rare Book Collection, and the E. A. McIlhenny Natural History Collection. Its staff of 20 is committed and expert, producing instruction and reference services, exhibitions and public programming, manuscript and rare book cataloging, and preservation. Special Collections has implemented the Aeon automated request software, and will soon complete its adoption of ArchiveSpace. The successful candidate will benefit from excellent institutional support. Upon arrival, the AD for Special Collections will assess the organization and to fill four senior level professional positions. She/he will be instrumental in directing a renovation effort at Hill Memorial Library. She or he will also benefit from strong centralized support including publicity and event management, fundraising, cataloging, and digital library development. Appointment will be made at the rank of Associate or Full librarian.
30% - Administration of Special Collections
- Leads and supervises staff and faculty
- Builds collections in the areas of manuscripts, rare book, LLMVC books, and university archives
- Solicits gifts, grants, and other external support
- Collaborates with state and national entities
- Designs and delivers public services
- Enhances and increases instruction, classroom integration, and faculty research support
- Increases use and visibility of facility and services
- Proves strategic leadership for events and exhibits
30% Digital development
- Develops a strategy for significantly enhanced digitization and born-digital library development relating to Special Collections
- Develops a strategy for enhanced digital access to existing collections
- Increases support for multi-media content
- Builds capacity for digital exhibit development
- Contributes to Libraries’ digital humanities/digital scholarship efforts
10% Faculty role
- Produces research, creative work, and service in keeping with the faculty requirements of Louisiana State University.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in a special collections library, archives, or major historical society, including significant supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of, and receptiveness to, the application of technology in the service of special collections.
- Experience writing and administering grants. Familiarity with preservation methodologies including both analog and digital materials.
- Ability to meet tenure and promotion requirements as evidenced by a record of research, publication, and professional service.
- A Ph.D. in a relevant discipline.
- Certification from the Academy of Certified Archivists.
- Successful fundraising experience.
Additional Job Description: Could be hired at either the Associate Librarian or Librarian level.
Special Instructions: A copy of your transcript(s) may be attached to your application (if available). However, original transcripts are required prior to hire. Please provide three professional references including name, title, phone number and e-mail address. Please have three letters of recommendation available upon request.
Posting Date: January 10, 2017
Closing Date (Open Until Filled if No Date Specified):
Additional Position Information: