ASSUMPTION PARISH LIBRARY
SUMMARY: With oversight by the Board of Control, this individual has ultimate responsibility for administration of all library outlets, services and functions. This is an exempt position. Performs related and other work as required.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Attainment of B.A. or B.S. from an accredited university/college; attainment of a graduate degree in Library and/or Information Science from an ALA-accredited university; at least three years of paid, full-time professional (post-MLS) library experience which reflects increasing responsibility, including at least one year of paid, full-time experience in an administrative capacity. [Outstanding, paid, full-time, directly applicable experience may substitute for up to one year of the library experience requirement.] Must have certification by the Louisiana Board of Library Examiners or be able to attain certification within the first year of employment. If assigned a library vehicle to drive on a regular basis, must have a good driving record with no DWI violations within the past five years and no other moving violations within the past year.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
Comprehensive knowledge of: (1) professional library principles and practices; (2) public library functions, facilities, and operations; (3) patron needs and library services to meet those needs; (4) standard library automated system modules. Demonstrated ability to: (1) administer library system operations and projects; (2) establish and maintain effective working relationships with trustees, administrators, supervisors and employees; city/parish officials and departments, communities, organizations and the public; (3) communicate effectively, orally and in writing, to groups and individuals.
- Directs (including planning, organizing and coordinating) operation of the entire library system.
- Acts as assistant to the secretary of the Board of Control; responsible for implementation of policies and decisions.
- Plays a leading role in tax elections, bond issues, and other funding initiatives; recommends detailed budgets to the Board and/or its appropriate committees.
- Develops long-range objectives and plans; initiates implementation of Board-adopted goals; heavily involved in capital programs (including land acquisition, construction and renovation).
Exercises direct and indirect supervision; responsible for and provides oversight and guidance (as needed) in the following:
- types, levels, and standards of library services and programs offered; automation and technical services, public relations, and promotion.
- decisions concerning library personnel (including hiring, employment and discipline).
- interpretation and application of policy; resolution of inquiries and/or complaints.
- aspects of projects, policies, studies, reports or data.
- maintenance and security of facilities, systems and grounds.
- Performs other necessary duties as required.
Assumption Parish Library (APL) serves a population of 23,187 with its main library in Napoleonville and 3 branches. Another branch is under construction in Belle Rose. APL's budget for operations and collections is close to $1 million. Circulation for 2015 was more than 46,000 (collection of 92,000+ items). APL has a staff of 20 (11 FTE). The library’s automation system is TLC. See http://www.assumption.lib.la.us/ for further information.
Assumption Parish is a wonderful community located deep in the heart of Louisiana. The parish seat is located in Napoleonville, about an hour south of Baton Rouge, along the banks of Bayou Lafourche. Agriculture, sugarcane, and fishing play a significant role in the economy of the parish. The pleasure-loving nature of the region manifests itself in festivals, dancing, food, and a number of sporting and hunting activities.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 28, 2017
SALARY: $50,000/year + benefits
CONTACT: Send letter of application, resume and three professional references to
Desire Alleman, President of the Library Board of Control
c/o Assumption Parish Library
293 Napoleon Avenue
Napoleonville, Louisiana, 70390
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or non-job related disability. Our facilities are non-smoking.