Homework Louisiana (Available June 1st)
Homework Louisiana is powered by Tutor.com, the leading online tutoring and homework help service. This program, which is free of charge, connects Louisiana K-12 students to a live tutor online for one-to-one help with homework, studying and test preparation in all core academic subjects including math, science, social studies and English. It can be accessed from a computer in a Louisiana public library or from a student’s home computer.
The service also includes access to online tutorials to build skills in math, science, English and social studies. These resources are available 24/7 from a student’s home computer by accessing www.homeworkla.com .
- Available: Sunday-Thursday from 2:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Access: At local parish libraries or from home by visiting the library’s website.
- Live Help: A student connects to a professional tutor in an online environment for one-to-one help.
- Grade Levels: K-12Subjects: Elementary to advanced coursework in math, science, social studies and English.
- Tutoring in Spanish is available as well.
Whatever your goal, LearningExpress Library's resources will help you succeed. Each of the Learning Centers offers the practice tests, exercises, skill-building courses, and information you need to achieve the results you want—at school, at work, or in life.
A new part of Learning Express for Louisiana libraries is the computer skills section. Whether you need to strengthen your computer skills for work or just want to learn how to take advantage of all your computer has to offer, you'll find the tools you need right here. Learn at your own pace with interactive tutorial courses on today's most popular software and operating systems. Each course offers detailed, easy-to-follow instructions with audio and captions for the program and skill level of your choice.
Teen Health & Wellness (Available June 1st)
Teen Health & Wellness: Real Life, Real Answers, a database from Rosen Publishing Online, provides students with comprehensive curricular support and self-help tools on topics including diseases, drugs, alcohol, nutrition, fitness, mental health, diversity, family life, and more.
Developed for teens, with their unique concerns and perspective in mind, Teen Health & Wellness: Real Life, Real Answers draws on Rosen's award-winning series, including Coping, Need to Know, and others. Thoroughly updated and revised for online use, all content is reviewed by leading professionals in medicine, mental health, nutrition, guidance, and career counseling. It includes:
- Customizable local hotlines, plus national twenty-four-hour hotlines for teens in crisis.
- RSS feeds.
- Expanded Librarian/Educator Resources to make the most of your subscription.
- Clean, teen-friendly interface, which is easy to use.
- Multiple paths to information via browse, search, and high-interest features.
- Advanced search functionality, including “Did you mean?” searching.
- Regularly updated homepage features connecting medical news and social issues to database articles.
- Content aligned to state and national curriculum standards.
- ADA compliant.
- Custom glossary.
- Automatically generated citations, plus robust print and email functions.
- Resource sections with Web sites, organizations, and recommended reading annotated and reviewed by Rosen editors.
- Interactive polls and quizzes.
- Authentic first-person teen narratives.
Career Cruising is an online career exploration and portfolio development system. With detailed occupation profiles, comprehensive post-secondary education information, and industry-leading assessments, patrons move seamlessly through the career exploration and planning process. With the powerful portfolio system, patrons are able to make concrete, long-term career and educational plans. Librarians also have access to aggregate reporting and customization tools to help meet the needs of their communities.
You can access hundreds of detailed occupation profiles—everything from Actuary to Zookeeper. Each profile includes a job description, information on working conditions, earnings, education and training, a sample career path, links to related occupations, other resources, and multimedia interviews. And Career Cruising’s intuitive assessment tools are a great place for patrons to begin their career exploration.
With its seamless integration into the career and education planning process, Career Cruising's online portfolio tool leads patrons effortlessly through the steps of preparing for the world of work.
Patrons have 24 hour online access to Career Cruising through a variety of options:
- Computer IP authentication for in-library use
- Remote access via library website at home
- Library card ID authentication
- Username and password entry